Even with all the possible health benefits of krill oil, you need to watch out for cheap imitations and low-quality imposters. And there are quite a few of these available in the marketplace where manufacturers sometimes take shortcuts at the expense of quality and the environment.
Harvesting krill in a commercially viable and environmentally sound way can be challenging. These are examples of some of the issues:
- Traditional trawling methods where the krill is hauled up on deck and emptied into holding tanks before processing is unsustainable
- Krill contains highly digestive enzymes and basically self-destruct before they can be processed
- Regular trawling can bring in unwanted by-catch (fish, seals, etc.) potentially posing a threat to fragile marine eco-systems in the Antarctic
And, unfortunately these issues aren’t limited to just one or two fisheries…
A recent sustainability report of 24 fisheries by NGO Sustainable Fisheries Partnership (SFP) found one third or 3.5 million tons of fish stocks destined for fish oil supplements are “poorly managed.”
I find this alarming… Simply, these types of shortcut practices aren’t acceptable to us, and I’m sure not to you, either. Fortunately, we found a supplier that takes a whole different approach…
The ONLY Fishery to Receive an ‘A’ for Sustainability
The 24 fisheries in SFP’s recent report received one of four ratings for sustainability: A, B1, B2, or C.
- 12 of the 24 fisheries received “C” ratings (and one was shut down)
- 11 received B1 or B2 ratings
- Only ONE fishery received an “A” rating – and it was ours!
I’m proud to announce that the fishery that supplies the krill for our Mercola Krill Oil was awarded the only “A” rating for sustainability and management strategy.
In addition to taking the appropriate environmental steps to protect the krill species, the patent-pending technology that this fishery uses helps make the difference:
- Uses a direct hose connection mechanism to help ensure unwanted by-catch are singled out and released unharmed during harvesting
- Keeps the krill live and fresh by bringing them directly into the harvesting vessel using a continuous flow of water
The bottom line with this type of specialized harvesting is it not only helps ensure high-quality krill goes into Krill Oil, it minimizes environmental impacts and helps ensure the sustainability of Antarctic krill and other marine species.
Plus, we support The Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR). CCAMLR was established in 1982 with the objectives of conserving Antarctic marine life. To further support CCAMLR, vessels typically have a part-time observer on board to scrutinize harvesting limits.
With our Krill Oil, there is an independent observer on board 24/7 who reports back to CCAMLR on a daily basis. Talk about going the extra mile to ensure sustainability and environmental protection…
And yet, our manufacturer takes this one step further during the sea to shelf process that few (if any) others do…
Traceability – A Rare Find in Krill Harvesting
We have adopted The Marine Stewardship Council’s (MSC) “boat to plate” mentality and adhere to MSC’s Chain of Custody standard.
With MSC certification, every company that handles the product (from harvesting to encapsulation):
- Has been independently audited to make sure the MSC eco-label is only used on certified sustainable products
- Stores MSC-certified items separately
- Keeps effective records of MSC-certified products
So, there’s a big-time quality element involved in this “boat to plate” certification. And to me, the traceability of all this is an often overlooked element. Traceability of Krill Oil:
- Ensures that the krill are sourced from a MSC-certified fishery
- Protects buyers (like you) and fisheries from fraudulent labeling
- Avoids risk of fisheries carrying products from illegal, unregulated, and unreported fishing
The fishery supplying our krill oil was the first krill harvesting company to gain MSC certification – and still remains one of the only two to be certified.
In essence, we provide 100% traceability of the krill from sea to shelf in a controlled value chain: from harvesting… to processing… to logistics… to final processing… to product specs… to internal and external audits.
That means we’re able to trace all krill back to the exact location of harvest (through GPS systems aboard each vessel). Each bottle is traceable back to the Antarctic location where the krill was actually harvested.
I think you’ll agree that’s little debate that my Krill Oil is a product you can trust…
Why Not Just Take Fish Oil?
Now you may be thinking that taking fish oil is a good alternative. And there are some high-quality fish oils available that could potentially enhance your intake of omega-3s. Unfortunately, not only does the contamination risk affect fish itself, it also applies to fish oil supplements.
The good news is there’s a solution I believe is even better that overcomes some of fish oil’s shortcomings. Fish oil tends to be:
- Weak in antioxidant content
- Contaminated from toxins
- Susceptible to spoilage and can be highly perishable
So what’s a better alternative to fish oil?
With the discovery of this unique marine oil, the drawbacks from fish oil can be avoided. Krill oil solves the dilemma by containing both antioxidants and omega-3s. And because krill are at the bottom of the food chain, they are virtually free from pollution and contamination.
Consistently Tested for Purity
Our Antarctic krill source meets the strictest quality standards when it comes to contaminants. In fact, regular testing is performed to ensure our krill oil meets extremely demanding specifications for a broad range of potential contaminants.
As mentioned before, heavy metals are always a concern when it comes to seafood products. Fish and seafood have the potential to contain high levels of heavy metals such as lead, mercury and copper. We make sure to test our krill for these, plus for an array of other metals. The levels found in our krill oil are so low they even test well below California’s Prop 65 limits, which are much more stringent than federal guidelines.
Most of our major water ways are contaminated with hormone disrupting chemicals such as dioxins and PCBs. Because our krill is harvested in the pristine Antarctic waters, this concern is virtually eliminated. The levels of these chemicals found in our krill oil are nearly undetectable compared to the limits set forth by the World Health Organization.
PAHs or polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are carcinogenic compounds that are found in cigarettes and also in crude oil. With the prevalence of offshore oil drilling across the globe, it is important to ensure the seafood you are consuming has not been contaminated by oil spills. Our krill oil is also tested for 8 different PAHs commonly found in crude oil.
Consistent monitoring to guarantee our krill oil is meeting the strictest guidelines further ensures its purity. As you can see, with my Pure Antarctic Krill Oil, you can rest assured you are receiving a clean, tested product.
Powerful Antioxidants AND Essential Omega-3 Oils
When I first learned about this pure marine oil, I was extremely impressed with the many benefits and the solid research behind its unique combination of antioxidants, omega-3 oils, and other ingredients.*
The list of how Antarctic krill oil can support you will likely impress you, too. The chart below illustrates many of the potential benefits of krill oil.
- Supports a healthy heart*
- Helps maintain blood sugar levels already in the normal range*
- Supports healthy joints and overall joint comfort*
- Supports a healthy brain and nervous system function and development*
- Helps maintain cholesterol levels already in the normal range*
- Supports your immune system*
- Supports a healthy mood*
If you’re looking for a way to support your health with a solution that really delivers the goods, then please take a minute to discover how Krill Oil can help you.*
Another Krill Secret Weapon
Unlike fish oils, Antarctic krill oil carries omega-3s in the form of phospholipids – liposomes or little packages that deliver the fatty acids directly to your body’s cells.
Scientific evidence to date has shown that the safest and most effective carriers of EPA and DHA are these phospholipids. Unfortunately, standard fish oils (and inferior krill oil brands) lack this phospholipid complex. Instead, they contain omega-3 fatty acids in the less-beneficial form of free triglycerides.
Why are phospholipids so important? In a nutshell, they…
- Provide the building blocks for your cell membranes*
- Regulate cellular transport by functioning as “gate-keepers”*
- Help protect your cell membranes from free radicals*
This unique relationship between the phospholipids and omega-3 fatty acids greatly facilitates the passage of the fatty acid molecules through your intestinal wall.* This helps you in three ways:
- Makes the omega-3 fats in Krill Oil more bioavailable than those in fish oil*
- Allows EPA and DHA to directly enter your cells*
- Improves your omega-3 to omega-6 ratio*
Although some omega-6 fats are good for your health, the balance of omega-6s to omega-3s is crucial.* Unfortunately, most people consume an overabundance of omega-6 fats. The phospholipids in Krill Oil can help balance this ratio and provide you with more omega-3 fats.*
This Antarctic krill oil phospholipid “secret weapon” just adds more solid support to why I strongly recommend Krill Oil.
Extraordinary Encapsulation System
Without a superior delivery and encapsulation system, all the innovation and technology that goes into producing the Krill Oilformula could be a waste. I mean, what good would it be if leakage problems with the protective capsule were an issue?
It’s not a problem here and I made doubly-sure this was not an issue.
Krill Oil is provided in a «Licaps®» capsule instead of a softgel, or other type of capsule technology. Licaps use innovative “Fusion Technology” to seal a 2-piece capsule without the use of banding.
This extraordinary liquid capsule technology can provide many beneficial advantages over others, because it:
- Reduces oxidation potential by flushing the liquid formulation with nitrogen during the capsule-filling process – Creating a «freshness bubble»
- Ensures 2-piece capsules are hermetically sealed to significantly reduce the potential for leakage – Yields a precisely tight, one-piece capsule
- Enhances shelf-life through exemplary filling and sealing processes
Plus, since the capsules are so tightly sealed, you won’t even smell the krill oil.*And we even have results to prove that…
Check Out This ‘Sniff Test’ Proving Mercola Krill Oil Wins Out Over
If you’ve ever opened a bottle of fish oil or krill oil, you will have noticed a strong, repulsive fishy smell.
Well, you don’t have to worry about that with my Antarctic Krill Oil, thanks to the Licaps capsule technology we use. Watch this video, below, that shows the “Sniff Test” we performed, asking various people what they thought about the smell of Mercola Krill Oil versus other leading omega-3 supplements.
High-Quality Krill Oil Makes a Difference
Now that we know that Antarctic Krill Oil doesn’t have the repulsive fishy smell (therefore aftertaste or burps) that other brands do, I’m sure you are more anxious to try it. Isn’t it time you took charge of increasing your intake of health-supporting crucial antioxidants and omega-3s?*
With the combination of a high-quality Antarctic krill oil…
- MSC-certified to reassure you that we harvest krill according to strict sustainability standards…
- Produced using extraordinary efficient Eco-Harvesting technology that supports sustainability of Antarctic krill and marine species
- Delivered by a protective encapsulation system (Licaps) second to none…
Krill Oil is one of the smartest ways I know of to increase your intake of antioxidants and omega-3s.*
Order Krill Oil today to start boosting your antioxidants and omega-3s.*